[linux-elitists] Re: Google censorship of xenu.com domain [#201159]

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 25 15:09:50 PST 2002

Quoting Don Marti Uses GIFs on the Sly (dmarti@zgp.org):

> I will take another look at Google's DMCA policy when I get back
> to town in early April.  What matters isn't how many pages of CoS
> quoted material are reachable through Google, but how many pages
> of content that is controversial to other powerful organizations
> might be silently dropped from the index in future.

This is precisely the issue I tried repeatedly to bring to the Googler's
attention:  If the tactic of invoking DMCA takedown provisions even for
questionable copyright claims is seen to work a few times against them,
then the floodgates will open, and any corporation or other moneyed
interest gets an easy way to get critics removed from visibility.  Few
of the latter will ever invoke the putback clause (most won't even know
of it), and the few who do will have to endure the minimum statutory
delay before they're visible again.

Our Google friend basically didn't want to deal with that prospect, and
seemed to want to just whistle in the dark.

Or, more cynically, the company may intend to just take the path of
least resistence, and hope the results will seldom be noticed.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                      "vi is my shepherd; I shall not font."