[linux-elitists] Re: Google censorship of xenu.com domain [#201159]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Mar 25 14:40:08 PST 2002

I am still concerned about Google's handling of the xenu.net
issue.

The Register got the DMCA angle dead wrong:

(Karsten, can you ask them to call a non-Google, non-CoS lawyer?)

"However, Google was served with what appears to be a legally-proper
DMCA notice, in that it is signed under penalty of perjury and
asserts that the complainer has a good-faith belief that copyrights
are being violated, so it had no choice but comply."

I will take another look at Google's DMCA policy when I get back
to town in early April.  What matters isn't how many pages of CoS
quoted material are reachable through Google, but how many pages
of content that is controversial to other powerful organizations
might be silently dropped from the index in future.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                       Help spread accurate information