Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Mon Mar 25 13:12:16 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:10:16AM -0500, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:
>     MM> 550-Envelope sender verification failed 550 rejected: Cannot
>     MM> route to envelope sender <foobar@beatware.com> (The envelope
>     MM> sender does not exist according to your mail server when it
>     MM> was asked): response from mailhost.beatware.com
>     MM> [209.237.6.135] after "MAIL FROM: <>" was "501 bogus mail
>     MM> from".  [...]
>
> What happens when you cannot reach the MX for the domain?  Do you
> fall back on something like RFC-ignorant?  As this efectively does a

No.
If I can't reach the MX, I give out a 4xx error.

> VRFY on servers that don't have to be the sending server, did anyone
> complain about this yet?

It doesn't do a VRFY (which can be disabled), but an RCPT TO, which I agree,
is somewhat similar.
I think 3 people have complained so far that we added a few entries to their
logs.

In theory however you can annoy another site by issuing mails with an
envelope pointing to them and causing callbacks to them.

Marc