Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Mon Mar 25 09:56:48 PST 2002

begin  quoting what Dan Wilder said on Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 09:40:55AM -0800:

> The point pertained to RFC1123's requiring on the one hand a
> valid principal host domain name, while on the other hand prohibiting
> later in 5.2.5 the refusal of email from hosts not complying
> with the requirement.

I think you might be misinterpreting it.

My reading of it was that if presented with:

HELO foo

then an nslookup of "foo" must produce the same IP address as is
sending the mail, but an nslookup of that IP doesn't have to produce
"foo".  Thus, if "nslookup foo" produces no result or an inconsistent
result, you're free to refuse.

However, it is also possible I misinterpreted it.