Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Sun Mar 24 22:36:05 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:10:16AM -0500, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:
> [...]
>     MM> That's easy, I already have this on sourceforge.net, it's
>     MM> completely automated with SMTP callbacks:
>
> OK.  I think I understand this.
>
> [...]
>     MM> 550-Envelope sender verification failed 550 rejected: Cannot
>     MM> route to envelope sender <foobar@beatware.com> (The envelope
>     MM> sender does not exist according to your mail server when it
>     MM> was asked): response from mailhost.beatware.com
>     MM> [209.237.6.135] after "MAIL FROM: <>" was "501 bogus mail
>     MM> from".  [...]
>
> What happens when you cannot reach the MX for the domain?  Do you
> fall back on something like RFC-ignorant?  As this efectively does a
> VRFY on servers that don't have to be the sending server, did anyone
> complain about this yet?
>
> Thanks,

Oops.  Yep.  You'd do better to use a 450, not a 550.  The spammers
would beat on your door a whole bunch of times per message instead
of going away (maybe) but the legitimate correspondence would survive
temporary (and all too familiar) DNS outages.