Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Sun Mar 24 22:10:16 PST 2002

[...]
    MM> That's easy, I already have this on sourceforge.net, it's
    MM> completely automated with SMTP callbacks:

OK.  I think I understand this.

[...]
    MM> 550-Envelope sender verification failed 550 rejected: Cannot
    MM> route to envelope sender <foobar@beatware.com> (The envelope
    MM> sender does not exist according to your mail server when it
    MM> was asked): response from mailhost.beatware.com
    MM> [209.237.6.135] after "MAIL FROM: <>" was "501 bogus mail
    MM> from".  [...]

What happens when you cannot reach the MX for the domain?  Do you
fall back on something like RFC-ignorant?  As this efectively does a
VRFY on servers that don't have to be the sending server, did anyone
complain about this yet?

Thanks,

BM