Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Sun Mar 24 17:58:58 PST 2002

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 05:34:08PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, Mar 24, 2002, Dan Wilder (dan@ssc.com) wrote:
>
> <...>
>
> > Unfortunately the RFCs appear to prohibit validating the actual
> > sending host against DNS and then declining mail based on that
> > validation.  That'd catch a large part of the spam that comes in.
> > Aside from RFC considerations, this is not feasible on pragmatic
> > grounds: way too many legitimate hosts with broken DNS.
>
> OTOH, if broken DNS started resulting in, e.g.:  mass email failures,
> sites would clean up right fast.
>
> A long time ago, on a list far, far away, someone asked how they could
> prevent all the "WARNING: ..." messages showing up in his program logs.
> My reply:  fix your coding errors.
>
> Bouncing ill-formed mail is *not* a bad thing.  Standards without
> consequences are not standards.

Unfortunately the standard in question explicitly specifies
that there be no consequences.

Unfortunately also too many sites have broken DNS, and postmasters
of little sites, such as ones I administer, have no options.

If several large national or international ISPs started accepting
email only from originating hosts with valid DNS, yes, there'd be
mass email failures, and things might clean up to the point where
little guys like me could afford to entertain such an option.

One can dream.