Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Sun Mar 24 17:48:33 PST 2002

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 04:39:47PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> Again:  I think automated tools *are* a benefit *if* properly designed.
> I think the solution is in improving the tools, not in griping about
> them.

Certain automated tools are intended to be used for an unutterably
mindless and stupid purpose, to wit, auto-reporting.

I'm not griping.

I'm objecting to the stupidity of that particular purpose, in a
public forum, hoping that my objection will be argued, noted, etc.,
and that I may perhaps contribute to the building of what I would
view as a more favorable consensus about what should be done.

I do not raise this objection directly with the authors of these
tools, believing that those individuals are likely at this time
to be entirely bought-in to their wrongheadedness, and lost to
any form of reason with respect to this matter.  I doubt that
any one of them would even for one instant entertain adding
a patch to delete the feature in question.  If I am correct,
"improving [the tools]" is not an option.

If there is an emerging consensus, such individuals will then
have the choice to adapt their work, deleting the offending features
and concentrating on more acceptable solutions, or to be
seen as outlaws of sorts, rather than as pillars of the community.