Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 24 17:23:45 PST 2002

on Sun, Mar 24, 2002, Jeremy Zawodny (Jeremy@Zawodny.com) wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 04:39:47PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> >   - Tools like spamassassin are pretty damned slick.  For personal
> >     systems, it handles the load admirably.  Moving this to the mail
> >     gateway raises performance issues -- I'm seeing about 0.4 seconds
> >     per validated mail, restricting any one server to a total possible
> >     peak of about 200,000 mails a day.  Sufficient for many, but not
> >     all, purposes.
>
> By making use of the spamc/spamd client/server pair,

That *is* spamc/spamd.  Running spamassassin standalone is  ~4
seconds/message.

> you can scale that up quite a ways.  A large ISP could have multiple
> spamd machines with fast CPUs that do nothing but handling request to
> scan messages from the spamc machines.

That's a possibility, but we have limited rackspace, and have to
allocate it carefully.  Spamd doesn't serialize currently, might have
significant improvements if it did.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Keep software free.         Oppose the CBDTPA.         Kill S.2048 dead.