Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sun Mar 24 17:05:54 PST 2002

<quote who="Jeremy Zawodny">

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 04:39:47PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> >   - Tools like spamassassin are pretty damned slick.  For personal
> >     systems, it handles the load admirably.  Moving this to the mail
> >     gateway raises performance issues -- I'm seeing about 0.4 seconds
> >     per validated mail, restricting any one server to a total possible
> >     peak of about 200,000 mails a day.  Sufficient for many, but not
> >     all, purposes.
>
> By making use of the spamc/spamd client/server pair, you can scale
> that up quite a ways.  A large ISP could have multiple spamd machines
> with fast CPUs that do nothing but handling request to scan messages
> from the spamc machines.
>
> It's simple but very, very powerful.

Additionally, turning off the spamassassin options that your MTA provides
will increase performance greatly, especially the DNS related checks.

- Jeff

--
  "Linux continues to have almost as much soul as James Brown." - Forrest
                                 Cook, LWN