Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Jeremy Zawodny Jeremy@Zawodny.com
Sun Mar 24 16:54:06 PST 2002

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 04:39:47PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:

>   - Tools like spamassassin are pretty damned slick.  For personal
>     systems, it handles the load admirably.  Moving this to the mail
>     gateway raises performance issues -- I'm seeing about 0.4 seconds
>     per validated mail, restricting any one server to a total possible
>     peak of about 200,000 mails a day.  Sufficient for many, but not
>     all, purposes.

By making use of the spamc/spamd client/server pair, you can scale
that up quite a ways.  A large ISP could have multiple spamd machines
with fast CPUs that do nothing but handling request to scan messages
from the spamc machines.

It's simple but very, very powerful.

I work with a community ISP in Ohio where I've got a setup like that
working and it easily handles their typical mail volume of 120,000
messages (2GB) per day.  There's a lot of room to grow.

Jeremy
<Jeremy@Zawodny.com>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/