*****SPAM***** Re: Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 24 14:40:08 PST 2002

on Sun, Mar 24, 2002, Rusty Foster (rusty@kuro5hin.org) wrote:
> SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results ----------------------
> SPAM: This mail is probably spam.  The original message has been altered
> SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
> SPAM: See http://spamassassin.org/tag/ for more details.
> SPAM:
> SPAM: Content analysis details:   (6.76 hits, 5 required)
> SPAM: Hit! (0.5 points)  Subject has an exclamation mark
> SPAM: Hit! (1.32 points) BODY: Contains word 'guarantee' in all-caps
> SPAM: Hit! (0.01 points) BODY: Claims to be legitimate email
> SPAM: Hit! (2.17 points) BODY: Claims "This is not spam"
> SPAM: Hit! (1.33 points) BODY: Claims compliance with SPAM regulations
> SPAM: Hit! (1.43 points) BODY: One hundred percent guaranteed
> SPAM:
> SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results ---------------------
>
> Shawn McMahon wrote:
> >
> > begin  quoting what Rusty Foster said on Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at
> > 12:04:26PM -0500:
> > >
> > > SPAMASSASSIN TRIGGER LINE!!! VISIT THIS HOT SITE!!!
> > > HTTP://WWW.SLASHDOT.ORG/ WILD FREE TEEN WAREZ 100% GUARANTEED TO BOOST
> > > TRAFFIC TO YOUR SITE!!! THIS MESSAGE IS NOT SPAM!
> > > This message sent in compliance with spam regulations. For removal
> > > please visit http://www.disney.com/
> >
> > I share your distaste for the auto-challenge people, but I'm really
> > curious about this.
> >
> > Why would you want to make it harder for people to do spam
> > filtering?  Isn't that the solution that impacts you the least?
> >
> > I can't think of any logical reason for doing that unless you're in
> > favor of spam and think it's wrong to not read it.  Obviously I'm
> > missing something, so please help me out here.
> >

> That trigger line was just for my own amusement. Did it catch anyone?
>
> I guess if I were to stretch for a point, it would be that if you
> start trusting machines to actively mediate your communication
> according to preset rules, you are deliberately blinding yourself.
> Consider the risk as well as the reward.

If you deliberately go out shattering glass, you are deliberately
blinding yourself.  Consider the risk as well as the reward.

Exploiting misfeatures of mailers to send a message to vendors that they
might want to think twice about adding such things is one matter.
Deliberately dressing yourself up as spam is another.

I'm now caught between adding you to my spamassassin whitelist, or my
personal blacklist.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Keep software free.         Oppose the CBDTPA.         Kill S.2048 dead.