Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Rusty Foster rusty@kuro5hin.org
Sun Mar 24 09:54:58 PST 2002

Shawn McMahon wrote:

> begin  quoting what Rusty Foster said on Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 12:04:26PM -0500:
> >
> > SPAMASSASSIN TRIGGER LINE!!! VISIT THIS HOT SITE!!!
> > HTTP://WWW.SLASHDOT.ORG/ WILD FREE TEEN WAREZ 100% GUARANTEED TO BOOST
> > TRAFFIC TO YOUR SITE!!! THIS MESSAGE IS NOT SPAM!
> > This message sent in compliance with spam regulations. For removal
> > please visit http://www.disney.com/
>
> I share your distaste for the auto-challenge people, but I'm really
> curious about this.
>
> Why would you want to make it harder for people to do spam filtering?
> Isn't that the solution that impacts you the least?
>
> I can't think of any logical reason for doing that unless you're in favor
> of spam and think it's wrong to not read it.  Obviously I'm missing something,
> so please help me out here.

That trigger line was just for my own amusement. Did it catch anyone?

I guess if I were to stretch for a point, it would be that if you start
trusting machines to actively mediate your communication according to
preset rules, you are deliberately blinding yourself. Consider the risk
as well as the reward.

--R
--
Rusty Foster :: rusty@kuro5hin.org :: http://www.kuro5hin.org
What am I doing: http://www.kuro5hin.org/user/rusty/diary

Gah! The hated daystar is very bright today.
                                  --Inoshiro