[linux-elitists] Re: Google censorship of xenu.com domain [#201159]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Mar 21 20:19:42 PST 2002

begin Jon O. quotation of Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:04:27PM -0800:

> Don musta kicked some ass!
>
> http://slashdot.org/yro/02/03/22/0141250.shtml?tid=153

Someone from Google reads this list. (Hi.)

What happened?  They made a mistake.  Then they corrected it.
(We discovered the correction when a Well Known Scientology
Critic called me at Dana St.  when we were getting organized to go
over there.)  We met with software engineer Matt Cutts and had a
very productive discussion about the DMCA and Google's policy for
handling takedown requests.

Here's a photo of the Mountain View California Xenu Independent Study
Group and Matt: http://zgp.org/~dmarti/images/google_meeting.jpeg

Unresolved questions:

Will Google always provide a copy of the complainant's letter to
the webmaster of the site that would be affected?

Will Google publish a list of DMCA takedowns it does?

Will Google drop the bland-sounding internal term PageRank(tm)
in favor of the more descriptive "Google Juice"?

(Everybody stopped running that lynx loop that says mean things
about Stanford, right?)

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti       Join the Distributed Unisys Google Experiment.