[linux-elitists] Re: Google censorship of xenu.com domain [#201159]

Jon O. jono@networkcommand.com
Thu Mar 21 14:04:03 PST 2002

----- Forwarded message from The Google Team <comments@google.com> -----

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:21:09 -0000
From: "The Google Team" <comments@google.com>
Subject: Re: Google censorship of xenu.com domain [#201159]

Thank you for your note about the Xenu.net website.

We removed some pages of the xenu.net website from our search engine
earlier this week in response to a copyright infringement notification
under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA).  We are legally
obligated to do this by the provisions of the DMCA. It is not within our
discretion as a company to decide when to conform to this law and when
to ignore it. As the DMCA mandates, Google provides webmasters with the
ability to have their content reinstated if they submit a counter
notification to Google.  Until that action is taken, we are legally bound
to keep the contested pages out of our index. If you'd like more
information on this topic, you can find it here:
www.google.com/dmca.html or by searching Google for "DMCA"
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&q=dmca).

Google takes first amendment issues very seriously. We also are obligated
to follow the laws of the land. We appreciate your interest in this issue
and your taking the time to express your opinion.

Sincerely,
The Google Team

----- End forwarded message -----