[linux-elitists] Google == LRH Tech

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Thu Mar 21 10:36:34 PST 2002

[...]
    DM> As soon as they take on that kind of filtering, they stop
    DM> being a net utility, and start being a content site.  Search
    DM> engine results are meaningful when they function as net
    DM> utilities.

I see your point, but it still seems it is the DMCA and powerful
entities with lawyers abusing it that's the problem, not google
itself.  I think I would have done nothing differently as a corporate
decision-maker.  It is the legal climate that is warping things --
clearly not desirable in the abstract but probably inevitable as of
today.  (I am not reiterating the obvious about most uses of the DMCA
being abusive etc.)

    DM> You're right, a visit in person is the effective thing to do.

Yup, best of luck to you.

    DM> ...  You've got to know how
    DM> to handle these Stanford weenies -- they're like little baby
    DM> lambs bouncing around a field, thinking from press release to
    DM> press release.

I'll defer to you on weenie handling.  I'm sure you'll fill us in
on what happened.  Just out of curiosity:  why video cameras?

cheers,

BM