[linux-elitists] Google == LRH Tech

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Thu Mar 21 09:54:07 PST 2002

[...]
    DM> A search engine that only shows the results corporate lawyers
    DM> want you to see is worse than no search engine at all.

I disagree.  Influence from rich/powerful entities with lawyers is a
given.  Google is not rendered useless because they chose not to fight
Scientology.  I disliked the hit generator idea, it would seem talking
to Google would be a much better idea as your mail that just arrived
here would indicate.

    DM> Notice that Google didn't just take down their cached copy, as
    DM> the DMCA would appear to require.  Xenu.net used to be among
    DM> the top results for a search on "Scientology" -- now, nothing.
[...]

Scientology tried (and maybe successfully did) something similar on
usenet before but back then it was a combination of member action,
cancelbots and lawyering.  I do not know what Google's justification
is for removing xenu/net from searches, but if the content is deemed
illegal it  would stand to reason that they should not index it.  What
if the legal basis wasn't the DMCA but something like the laws against
kiddie-porn?  It seems clear cut in that case that removal from the
index is appropriate.  I can understand how DMCA combined with Scientology
pressure makes their actions look really ugly, but I thought their
letter was tactfully written and that it was written at all indicates
that Google folks are neither clueless nor ill-meaning.

cheers,

BM