Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Mr.Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Sun Mar 10 09:51:30 PST 2002

    KMS> SA tagged the message as spam and my procmail autoreporting
    KMS> rules (set to trigger at a threshold of 10, not SA's default
    KMS> "5 and you're spam" threshold) sent the mail to his
    KMS> employer's NOC.

So, I got to say, I really, really, really hate this auto-reporting
white-list challenging crap. It's goddamned rude to your absolutely
legitimate correspondents.

The problem is that any auto-reply or challenge makes me jump through
some kind of hoop just because *your* spam filters are not smart
enough to tell the difference between my worthwhile mail and some
UCE. Admittedly, the kind of language recognition that would be able
decisively and without fail to detect spam is astronomically hard. But
that still doesn't make it right for *me* to have to pay the price for
their failure or indecision.

It's asinine of you to put the time cost that your spam incurs into
*my* ledger. I have my own damn spam to deal with, and I don't want to
have to pay the price in time and effort for dealing with _your_ spam,
too. *I* didn't write your crummy bubble-headed coarse-grained
filters, did I?

It'd be much, much better for you just to flag suspicious messages and
put them in a slops bucket folder that gets checked and cleared out
once a week. Sure, it's 30 seconds extra work for you to scan the
folder, find my diamond, and whitelist me, but at least *you* are the
one making the effort to keep your own damn inbox free of spam.

Spammers are Bad because they abuse the time, attention, and digital
resources of others without permission. Everyone who sends out "My
filter thinks you're spam so jump through this hoop" messages, are
doing the same damn thing. They are a tinhorn Sanford Wallaces of the
21st Century.

I'm sick of doing the spam-fighting work for lazy bastardos who
consider themselves quite smart for sending out autoreplies. Get over
yourselves! You're not that goddamned important.

~Mr. Bad

P.S. I apologize to anyone who's already seen this rant in one form or
the other. I've sent it out like 6 times this week. Half the time I
get back messages that completely miss the point, saying, "But spam is
really bad!" No shit, sherlock@holmes.com. So is being a rude asshole
to everyone who's writing email to you.