Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Sun Mar 10 15:49:37 PST 2002

On the other hand, autoreporting can (and does) get out of hand.

Autoreporting is much more likely to affect stable organizations,
where it troubles honest postmasters with false positives,
than it is the throwaway accounts spammers commonly use.  By
the time the autoreport reaches anybody the spammer is long gone,
or has signed up under a different false identity.

I have in the past blacklisted sites which originate excessive
false or frivolous autoreports.  I will do so in the future.
Such nuisance mail is itself little better than spam.

I pray that carelessly administered reportbots, or even carefully
administered ones that originate more than a tiny handful of
false postitives, do not become common.

Unfortunately if reportbots become common, carelessly administered
ones will be common.  We have already seen that much of the Internet
is carelessly administered.

This could inspire yet another mailbot genre: reportbot-reportbots!
Oh boy!  Bandwidth gobbling robot wars!