Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 9 23:58:18 PST 2002

on Sat, Mar 09, 2002, Steve Beattie (steve@wirex.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 11:57:36PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> > Irony is dead.  It's kind of too bad that irony left and stupidity
> > stayed, but what can you do?
> >
> > I have spamassassin running here and it works well.  If you, like
> > most other people, have been flooded with spam this year, install
> > it and try it out.  (sudo apt-get install  spamassassin razor will
> > pull in Vipul's Razor too.)
> >
> > You can set spamassassin up to just apply headers so you can see
> > how much of your spam it would be catching, and set your tolerance
> > level based on that.
>
> The recent spamassassin install here has settings low enough that Nick's
> original message in this thread was tagged as spam -- it was tripped by
> the WHOLE LINE OF YELLING DETECTED in Nick's signature.

The auto-whitelisting feature of SA should prevent this from happening
on a long-term basis for regular correspondents.  The fact that most
spammers use one-time accounts means that this is a feature unlikely to
be abused (use throwaway accounts, don't get whitelisted, use
repeat-offense accounts, get blacklisted).

My irony moment for the month:  a good friend sent a mail quoting
content I'd requested he send me.  It had spammy stuff in it (banners,
ads, etc., being an HTML-based email distribution), and was sent to my
work account, which he'd not posted to much.  SA tagged the message as
spam and my procmail autoreporting rules (set to trigger at a threshold
of 10, not SA's default "5 and you're spam" threshold) sent the mail to
his employer's NOC.

The chaps there were sufficiently impressed with how SA'd treated his
post (the categorization was understandable) that they requested he
install a test instance there ;-)

Peace.