No SSSCA in the House (was Re: [linux-elitists] point of order, Ogg Vorbis rules...and an experiment)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Mar 8 13:17:45 PST 2002

begin Seth David Schoen quotation of Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:37:57PM -0800:

> On the other hand, Intel also continues to take the line that
> co-operation with the copyright industries on DRM is important;
> Intel's testimony seems to vacillate between "Hollywood has no right
> to tell us what to do" and "like any responsible company, we are
> already doing what Hollywood wants".

Could that be all that Sen. Hollings and his masters are shooting
for?  There is no SSSCA, or even a threat of hearings, on the
House side.

Rep. Issa's press secretary confirmed that there's no activity on
this in the House, and told me that the general opinion is that
Sen. Hollings is just trying to get the technology companies to
"work together with" the copyright holders -- in other words,
to put pressure on them.  I think this is all he can do in the
absence of anyone willing to sponsor SSSCA in the House.

All in all, a cheap and audacious attack on the computer companies'
core assumptions.  They fell for it.  Point to Mr. Valenti.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti       Join the Distributed Unisys Google Experiment.