[linux-elitists] Register: The truth about Palladium

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Sun Jun 30 10:57:12 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:29:43PM -0400, Ron Guerin wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 08:57, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25891.html
> >
> > MS to eradicate GPL, hence Linux
> > By Thomas C Greene in Washington
> [snip]
> >
> > Harry's lament
> > I fully expect to see Linux on the desktop growing rapidly in the next
> > several years. The major distros like SuSE and Mandrake are coming along
> > nicely with classic Harry features like automatic updates. Hardware
> > detection is getting better by the day. Open Office is rapidly approaching
> > the point where it imports from and exports to MS office without
> > difficulty. The 2.4.x kernel is finally showing signs of the 2.2.x's
> > legendary stability. The KDE desktop is looking sharp and working nicely
> > now with version 3.0. Mozilla is coming along wonderfully. And now Red Hat
> > says it intends to commit seriously to the desktop market.
>
> Last I heard, Bob Young said just a couple of months ago that desktop
> Linux is doomed, and that Red Hat would _not_ be putting serious effort
> into it.
>
> Did I mess an announcement?

In this slashdot interview from April, which came up in a google
search, he speaks rather positively of Linux's place in the future of
the desktop:

http://slashdot.org/interviews/01/04/11/1555216.shtml

Young isn't directly part of Redhat's management team anymore, anyway
(he's chairman of their board).

Then there's this from Red Hat's VP of Marketing Mark de Visser:

  When asked about the perception that Linux companies are leaving
  the desktop users behind with this sudden fixation on the
  enterprise, de Visser was very quick to counter this idea as a
  complete misperception.

  "Some of the most exciting development in Linux today is taking
  place on the desktop," he said, citing recent advances in
  Evolution, StarOffice, and Mozilla. "I think that, very soon, we
  will be offering a good desktop for users."

  Red Hat, he stessed, has not abandoned the desktop at all.

The FUD that the "Linux desktop is dead" could be a self-fulfilling
meme.  If it gets spread around enough, enough people might believe
it to make it true.

--Joe