[linux-elitists] Linus on closed kernel modules at Usenix

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Thu Jun 20 12:14:26 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 01:11:14PM +0300, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

> Fair enough. Only wish he would say it sooner, in a clear and cut manner
> and lay down the rules (whatever he chooses them to be). This closed
> kernel modules 'haze' is bad for all involvded

Bad for whom?

It's fun for open source kernel developers, as we get to point and laugh
at people using closed source drivers.

It's good for companies who want to invest the time and money, and legal
advice to generate a closed source driver.  Only to realize later how
much money it really takes to do them properly, and give up and make the
code opensource.  Again the open source kernel developers get to point
and laugh, but some of them made money by writing the drivers for those
companies in the first place.

It's just fun for everyone!  :)

greg k-h