[linux-elitists] [pigdog] Influence a small country? (fwd)

Patrik Wallstrom pawal@blipp.com
Sun Jun 16 06:19:11 PDT 2002

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> From: Dunkin' Idaho <eganorion@ix.netcom.com>
>
> Hey... a couple of associates are speaking at a conference of government
> and education policy-makers in southern Europe rather soon.  One of the
> topics is how best to go about implementing open source software, and I
> have input to that presentation.  Want to influence a small country, eh?
>
> I've already forwarded obvious advice:  Firewalls and IDS, test on their
> common platforms, minimalist client installs (no telnet, rsh, ftp, NFS,
> Samba, or Apache servers), needs assessment, standard images, documents,
> training, and support, etc.  But if anyone has insight, I'll pass it on.
>
> What about Linux terminals to extend older hardware?  Do these work yet?
>
> Has anyone put open source into schools and have wisdom they can share?

In Norway they have started a school Linux project based on Debian
with a really easy to install Linux distribution. When installing, you
get to choose whether to install a server, a thin client or a real
client. The norwegians has been over to Sweden and talk about the
project, and we're initating a swedish project as well.

Norwegian Debian distribution: http://www.skolelinux.no/
Swedish school project: http://www.linuxiskolan.org/

The scandinavian countries will probably be working on the same school
Linux distribution because we have similar languages and needs.

Knut Yrvin is probably the best person to tell you more about this
project, he is the project manager for Skolelinux:
knuty@objectware.no

--
patrik_wallstrom->foodfight->pawal@blipp.com->+46-709580442