[linux-elitists] [pigdog] Influence a small country? (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sun Jun 16 06:09:10 PDT 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 16 Jun 2002 06:04:14 -0700
From: Dunkin' Idaho <eganorion@ix.netcom.com>
To: pigdog@pighaven.org
Subject: [pigdog] Influence a small country?

Hey... a couple of associates are speaking at a conference of government
and education policy-makers in southern Europe rather soon.  One of the
topics is how best to go about implementing open source software, and I
have input to that presentation.  Want to influence a small country, eh?

I've already forwarded obvious advice:  Firewalls and IDS, test on their
common platforms, minimalist client installs (no telnet, rsh, ftp, NFS,
Samba, or Apache servers), needs assessment, standard images, documents,
training, and support, etc.  But if anyone has insight, I'll pass it on.

What about Linux terminals to extend older hardware?  Do these work yet?

Has anyone put open source into schools and have wisdom they can share?

All help appreciated,

~Dunkin