[linux-elitists] Case Studies, Cost Analysis

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 15 19:56:14 PDT 2002

on Fri, Jun 14, 2002, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been naughty, not collecting links about Free Software case studies in
> corporate environments, or cost analysis of large rollouts.
>
> I'm now speccing a setup for a trusted, widely known business in Australia,
> which consists of 500 desktops, three locations, and the server support for
> all. Exciting. :-) They're very interested in contributing back their
> findings and work, too. Very enlightened.
>
> Has anyone been filing these away for reference?

Desktop, server, embedded, or dedicated appliance?   Rather different
stories.  The latter three are well accepted, GNU/Linux is a major, if
not *the* major, player.  Desktop's lagging, but the inertial resistance
is huge.  Cracks are showing.  Certainly there are many techies who are
100% Microsoft free, and a growing number of non-techies to boot.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+case+studies

Burlington Coat Factory; City of Largo, FL; numerous educational
implementations (see SEUL-edu); NASA; FermiLab, come to mind.  Likewise
TiVo, the Zaurus.

"Ernie Ball's Breaking All The Rules" is an interesting story, more so
because the GNU/Linux angle is really just an incidental aspect:

    http://www.worldtrademag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/coverstory/BNPCoverStoryItem/0,3481,76659,00.html

...which is what it should be.  OS choice shouldn't be a big deal.

From the Google search above and other sources:

   http://www.redhat.com/casestudies/
   http://www.li.org/success/
   http://www.opensource.org/advocacy/case_studies.html
   http://casestudy.seul.org/cgi-bin/caseview0.pl
   http://www.caldera.com/company/success/
   http://www-1.ibm.com/partnerworld/pwhome.nsf/mktgsale/linux_success.html
   http://www.salmar.com/marcel/linux_success.html
   http://www.beowulf-underground.org/success.html

I might add that Google itself is a success story.

Peace.

    Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay
    any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's
    doing it that way."
     -- Andrew Grygus  http://www.aaxnet.com/