[linux-elitists] They probably don't like Don Marti either.

Peter Whysall peter.whysall@ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 7 02:33:53 PDT 2002

on Fri, Jun 07, 2002, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Wed, Jun 05, 2002, Ron Guerin (ron@vnetworx.net) wrote:
> > AntiAdBuster.com - Protect your site from ad blockers and ad killers
> >
> > # Attention Webmasters your website is under attack! Are you registering
> > less leads/revenue/sales in spite of greater traffic to your site?
> > # Are you serious about you web-business?
> > # Are your users are using ad-blocking software to block your ads!
> > # Did you know users could download your entire site using site
> > grabbers!
> >
> > Today's ad-blockers are not only blocking banner ads but also have
> > started blocking text based ads and affiliate links!
> >
> > Till date you couldn't do anything about ad-blocking software's that
> > block your ads and affiliate links, but now you can fight back
> > AntiAdBuster detects if your users are using some sort of ad-blocking to
> > block your ads!
> >
> > http://www.antiadbuster.com/
>
> I can't think of a better way to block an automated, high-volume,
> non-graphics browser.  Like Google.

I'd bet a pint that they've special-cased the major search engines.

Still sucks, mind. And their website is hideous. (Yes, I just *had* to
look).

If you really wanted to do effective ad blocking for more than one user,
i imagine an easy way to do it would be via Squid:

# Websites that serve adverts
acl dstdomain adhosts ad.doubleclick.co.uk <insert EVUL ADSERVING
TERRORIST WEBSITES here>

# Block advert hosts - remember that squid rules are processed in order
# and the first matching rule wins, so you probably want to put this
# fairly early on in your http_access sequence
http_access deny adhosts

If you were feeling superclever you could use a regex or even a file for
your ACL.

Peter.
--
Peter Whysall