[linux-elitists] They probably don't like Don Marti either.

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Wed Jun 5 13:26:51 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 15:55, Jim Young wrote:
> [...]

True. By the way, the company I work for just designed a banner ad for a
client here in Mexico, which said company then proceeded to run on AOL's
Mexican site. It was one of those hokey "banner that looks like a
Windows alert dialog" things, but those are not common here, and as a
result, of the 2 million pageviews the ad got, 35% of the people clicked
through, breaking the previous clickthrough record of just above 2% or
so. AOL then pulled said ad because their call center was swamped with
calls from people saying "Hey, I got a Windows error when I visited your
site". I just found that amusing.

> 2) I don't use an ad blocker.. are you saying I'm stupid? I don't mind
> advertising if it's relevant to stuff I care about. Ads on slashdot are
> actually interesting (and often more useful than the mindless flaming that
> goes on there).

I didn't say all people who don't use ad blockers are stupid. I don't
use one myself, I don't mind ads too much, although I do block
everything from doubleclick.net. I just said that the majority of people
on Slashdot are too stupid to set up an ad blocker. And the ads on
Slashdot, well, it seems to me they're usually either insulting, or for
proprietary software, both of which are huge turn-offs for my
consumerism libido.

--
  The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
ziegler@e.fix.no - http://www.avmaria.com - Radagast@Undernet&GIMPnet