[linux-elitists] They probably don't like Don Marti either.

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Wed Jun 5 12:20:58 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 13:29, Ron Guerin wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 12:53, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
>> And, somehow, I think this is sort of legit for the sites to do. If you
>> don't like it, go somewhere else. It's their sites, they can do what
>> they want with them.

> I agree actually, ad-supported sites should be able to refuse entry to
> those who won't either take their ads or pay a subscription.  This is,
> as Don said separate from the issue of what goes on at the ad networks.

> Nevertheless, when I saw this thing, I thought it sounded like something
> out of a Kevin O'Connor wet dream.  And I just find the language "Fight
> back against ad-blocking software" inexplicably amusing.

Well, yeah, these guys are pretty amusing in general. Their spelling,
for instance, immediately marks them as total idiots. Consistently using
"there" instead of "their", etc.

Note, however, that I don't think forcing people to see your ads will be
successful in the long term. There will always be someone who will
provide 90% of your value without forcing ads on people, and then users
will go to that site instead.

Which of course leaves open the question of how it's possible to make
money on, say, online journalism. It seems like an interesting question
to ask. One solution might be to use ads and then encourage flaming and
general idiocy, so that you get tons of pageviews from people who are
too stupid to set up an ad blocker. Hey, it's worked for Slashdot for
years.

--
  The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
ziegler@e.fix.no - http://www.avmaria.com - Radagast@Undernet&GIMPnet