[linux-elitists] They probably don't like Don Marti either.

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Wed Jun 5 09:53:35 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 11:15, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Andy Bastien quotation of Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 09:46:35AM -0400:
>
> > Those scripts are useless.  I'm use oops to block banner ads (and other
> > stuff), and was able to go to all of the sites that are linked as
> > examples.
>
> I tried one, and I see no ads and also a bunch of really old  and
> not that funny jokes.  Maybe the ad-enforcing script requires you
> to accept cookies.
>
> This is strange because an a working ad enforcer would not be that
> hard to write.  (It would also prevent people from viewing the
> site in a non-graphical browser or with images off.)

That's not even necessarily true. If all your images are served through
a script, you could easily single out users that download some images,
but specifically leave out the ads.

And, somehow, I think this is sort of legit for the sites to do. If you
don't like it, go somewhere else. It's their sites, they can do what
they want with them.

--
  The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
ziegler@e.fix.no - http://www.avmaria.com - Radagast@Undernet&GIMPnet