[linux-elitists] They probably don't like Don Marti either.

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Jun 5 09:15:25 PDT 2002

begin Andy Bastien quotation of Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 09:46:35AM -0400:

> Those scripts are useless.  I'm use oops to block banner ads (and other
> stuff), and was able to go to all of the sites that are linked as
> examples.

I tried one, and I see no ads and also a bunch of really old  and
not that funny jokes.  Maybe the ad-enforcing script requires you
to accept cookies.

This is strange because an a working ad enforcer would not be that
hard to write.  (It would also prevent people from viewing the
site in a non-graphical browser or with images off.)  However, the
main thing we don't like about banner ads is cross-site tracking.
As soon as you integrate your ad server with your main web server
to make sure that everyone who gets the HTML also looks at the ads,
you make it more difficult to track users across sites.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                       Help spread accurate information