[linux-elitists] DjVuLibre doesn't eat own dog food

Adam Sampson azz@gnu.org
Fri Jul 19 10:22:20 PDT 2002

Shawn McMahon <smcmahon@eiv.com> writes:

> Interesting that djvu.sourceforge.net uses GIFs instead of PNGs...

DjVu is just as patent-encumbered as JPEG.
>From http://djvu.sourceforge.net/lti-licensing.html:

"LizardTech has chosen to use the GNU GPL because this license is
accepted in the Open Source community, and we believe this will aid in
the dissemination and growth of the DjVu technology. That said, we
believe the GNU GPL is a flawed license because it does not
satisfactorily address all issues necessary for release of the
code. At the same time, LizardTech does not endorse or agree with all
of the underlying assumptions or biases of the Free Software
Foundation that are reflected in the GNU GPL. In particular, the GNU
GPL is generally antagonistic to patent protection for software. We
know much of the Open Source community shares this antagonism to
patents.

While we do not expect to change anyone's mind on the issue of patents
for software, we do believe patents for software serve a valuable
purpose in creating the incentives that are necessary for businesses
to invest the time and resources in innovation that lead to inventions
of new technology. The right of inventors to obtain patent protection
for their inventions was deemed important enough that it is
specifically included in the U.S. Constitution. (Art. 1, ? 8,
cl. 8). We do not believe software inventors should be treated any
differently than inventors of anything else."

I'm not touching DjVu with a bargepole. Let's look for an _open_
standard, OK?

--
Adam Sampson <azz@gnu.org>                  <URL:http://azz.us-lot.org/>