[linux-elitists] Casual Encryption

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Wed Jul 17 18:10:21 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 19:20, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joakim Ziegler wrote:
>> But you can check it out from GNOME CVS and take a look at it (module
>> ximian-setup-tools). The GUI frontend uses GNOME, but the backends (the
>> scripts that actually do stuff) are Perl, detect the distro you're
>> running, dump the contents of the config files to a common XML format,
>> and can restore the state of the config files from that XML format
>> later.

> That sounds like it inspects my changes to config files only, which is
> not exactly what I am looking for. That right?

As opposed to current running state? Yes, it's config file only.

Sorry, I figured your question and need was two parts, one being the
"snapshot" part, and the other being the "reconstruct what I did" part.
Although the two are somewhat related.

(Of course, if you use the XST GUI frontends to do the experimentation,
everything you do will get saved to the relevant config files. But I'm
not sure how you feel about GUI tools. Personally, I'd much prefer using
GUI tools to editing config files by hand, especially for mundane tasks
like network config, and also because I move between distros with
different config file locations and syntax (especially for network
config, which seems to be the least standardized between distros))

--
  The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
ziegler@e.fix.no - http://www.avmaria.com - Radagast@Undernet&GIMPnet