[linux-elitists] Casual Encryption

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Tue Jul 16 18:55:42 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 22:43, Joey Hess wrote:

> While I'm writing, is anyone aware of a network configuration
> snapshotting program? What I'm looking for is a program that I can run
> that examines the state of all network interfaces; captures routing info
> and ipchains, and dns server and whether dhcp was used, and wireless
> essid, mode, and so on, and then saves it in a profile that I can return
> to with a single command. Support for saving to network.opts and
> wireless.opts and debian's /etc/network/interfaces would be a nice plus.

Ximian Setup Tools was intended to do this, and most of the code was in
place when I was on the XST team about a year ago. Sadly, there are
AFAIK no people in Ximian working actively on XST at the moment, they've
all been moved to other (paid) projects.

But you can check it out from GNOME CVS and take a look at it (module
ximian-setup-tools). The GUI frontend uses GNOME, but the backends (the
scripts that actually do stuff) are Perl, detect the distro you're
running, dump the contents of the config files to a common XML format,
and can restore the state of the config files from that XML format
later.

There was supposed to be a GUI to do exactly what you're looking for (in
XST, we called it "location management"), but I don't think that was
finished/stabilized. But the backends are mature code, with support for
a lot of distros (varies with the tool, but the network tool did at
least RH, SuSE, Mandrake, Debian Potato, and a couple of others, I
think. There was also the beginnings of FreeBSD support).

--
  The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
ziegler@e.fix.no - http://www.avmaria.com - Radagast@Undernet&GIMPnet