[linux-elitists] Casual Encryption

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 12 22:57:04 PDT 2002

on Wed, Jul 10, 2002, M. Drew Streib (dtype@dtype.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 04:19:02PM -0700, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > I wonder how complicated it would be to make a flag MUA's could pass
> > to an MTA advising it to *NOT* use TLS for a certain message. For
> > things like GPG-encrypted messages, TLS seems like a waste of cycles.
>
> At some point, cpu cycles are too cheap to worry about, especially if
> we can insert a good-practice security measure somewhere.
>
> If you're handling millions of emails per day, we can talk cost, but
> I'll still venture that proper tuning of a mailserver can more than
> buy 95% of the admins out there enough cycles to pay for the
> encryption.

In my experience, it's stuff like virus and spam filtering that's
already chewing cycles and adding time-cost to mail handling.  Largely
as these are third-party add-ons for the MTA we're using (qmail).
Moderate quality crypto handled within the MTA itself might be
acceptable.  But it is going to be a real load.

Peace.

   Scandinavian Designs:  Cool furniture, affordable prices, great service.
     San Rafael, CA.