[linux-elitists] Re: [fsl-discuss] Re: DC 7/17: Public Workshop on Digital Entertainment and "Rights Management"

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Fri Jul 12 17:56:19 PDT 2002

Sarah Brown writes:

> I just called and spoke with Chris Israel. I asked which panelists
> would be representing the public interest and he said there would be
> representatives from:
>
> -digitalconsumer.org
> -home recording rights coalition
>
> He said there would be (approx.) 15 other panelists representing
> industry including a few 'exceptionally neutral' government agencies.

[trimming Cc to individuals and relevant lists to which I subscribe]

HRRC has a nice record of supporting home recording, but they
typically represent the views of CE manufacturers rather than of
end-users of technologies.  So they have a narrow focus on recording
and not on things like user-serviceability and reverse engineering.

DigitalConsumer is pretty new and is working specifically on fair use
(with a somewhat more expansive view).

EFF might send a representative, but was not invited to be on the
panel.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk