[linux-elitists] Casual Encryption

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Fri Jul 12 07:25:11 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 00:06, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:59:25AM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> : I took a look at some of the docs out there, and it actually seems as if
> : encryption will *fail* if the sender cannot verify your certificate with
> : a CA.
>
> As others have indicated, this is definitely configuration-dependent.

Ok, I'm running Red Hat 7.1 with the stock (after updates) sendmail.
Looks like they don't turn on TLSSTART in that version, so I'm going to
recompile from SRPM. I'll try to summarize exactly what I go through so
that there's a document that others can follow without having to
understand the vagaries of sendmail/RedHat/TLS/certification/etc. I will
also be loading Limbo on a desktop box of mine, and I'll see if the
sendmail comes pre-configured to do this. 'Twould be nice.