[linux-elitists] SMB offtopic question

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Jul 11 05:18:45 PDT 2002

Sorry for waste of bandwidth, but I've got a stupid SMB share problem I'm
trying to debug asap, and I'm even lacking the search terms.

I've got a flaky Redmondware (NT, Win2k, some SMB Unix boxes which I've
pulled for time being) network, where machines keep appearing and
disappearing in a nondeterministic manner as seen in the Explorer browser.
I'm currently systematically eliminating physical layer problems (by
laying new lines and putting up switches instead of current deep tree of
hubs brokenness), but I'm starting to suspect it's some protocol
incompatibility problem.

I would be very grateful for pointers towards resources, whether search
terms to help me narrow down the query (SMB? NetBEUI? Netbios?), specific
uses of packet sniffers (trying to identify points of breakage, whether
physical or logical).

Again, sorry for the lame offtopic question.