[linux-elitists] Casual Encryption

M. Drew Streib dtype@dtype.org
Wed Jul 10 16:40:26 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 04:19:02PM -0700, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> I wonder how complicated it would be to make a flag MUA's could pass
> to an MTA advising it to *NOT* use TLS for a certain message. For
> things like GPG-encrypted messages, TLS seems like a waste of cycles.

At some point, cpu cycles are too cheap to worry about, especially if
we can insert a good-practice security measure somewhere.

If you're handling millions of emails per day, we can talk cost, but
I'll still venture that proper tuning of a mailserver can more than
buy 95% of the admins out there enough cycles to pay for the encryption.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>
Independent Rambler, Software/Standards/Freedom/Law -- http://dtype.org/