[linux-elitists] Casual Encryption

Aaron T Porter atporter@primate.net
Wed Jul 10 15:51:00 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 03:44:22PM -0700, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> I don't trust SMTP-level encryption. The data is only encrypted
> between relays, as I understand it - you still have to trust root of
> those relays. Better to get into the habit of OpenPGP-encrypting all
> personal email. I do that relatively often.

	I completely agree! My goal here is not true security, it's to
make it non-trivial for the US Government or some other organization to
sniff SMTP traffic off the network. A much better goal would certainly
be to get users switched to GnuPG or similar, but that's a windmill I'm
not ready to tilt with.