[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 6 19:32:33 PDT 2002

on Sat, Jul 06, 2002, Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org) wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > The Internet, like any well-formed organism, needs its semipermeable
>
> The Internet is not an organism.

In a strict biological sense, no, it isn't.

However, given definition 1 of "organism" from dict:

    From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44
    [gcide]:

    Organism \Or"gan*ism\, n. [Cf. F. organisme.] 1. Organic structure;
    organization. ``The advantageous organism of the eye.'' --Grew.
    [1913 Webster]

The 'Net has inputs, outputs, connections, and moves things between
hosts.  It serves many of the functions of an organism, or if you
prefer, a colony (ants, slime molds, Portugese Man o'War).  Among these
are the selection of good and bad inputs.

> It is a manmade system mimicking a totally connected graph.

Both man-made and capability of mathematic description are orthogonal to
being an organism.

> > membranes, its structures to allow nutrients and deny noxious elements.
> > There are better and worse ways to do this, but doing it of and by
> > itself is a neutral (actually, I believe it's a Good Thing?).
>
> I disagree vehemently.

Well, we agree on one thing.

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/