[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Sat Jul 6 14:04:08 PDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 08:58:14PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, D. Joe Anderson wrote:
>
> > student, to the woeful balkanization we have today.  When, exactly,
> > did it happen, and is there somewhere I can read about what I missed?
>
> Try ARPANET and successor protocol suite. But you knew that already, and
> just wanted to be cute.

No.  Just wanted to point out yet another instance of "death of the
network imminent. Details at 11."

For a large portion of this "golden age," the only way I had access
via ARPANET-derived protocols was through my affiliation with various
institutions of higher learning.  More "golden" for some than others
even still, I suppose.  Again, half-empty?  Or half-full?

> > Homogeneity grows out of inhomogeneity by one of the components
> > growing as the soon-to-be also-rans wither.  Homogeneity doesn't
> > sound like the hallmark of a golden age.
>
> What happens when you try to reinvent DNA? Everything breaks all over the
> place.

In my creation mythology, DNA wasn't invented, so it can't be
reinvented.  It evolved.  And shit broke, big time, in the process.
Still does.

That evolution means a lot of messy diversity out there exploring the
far corners of the possible, corners I don't particularly care to go
myself, mind you, but that's how it all works anyway.

But I thought you said the internet is not an organism, anyway, so
what's with the DNA analogy?

--Joe

BTW, I'm on the list.  No need to Cc: really.  thanks.