[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sat Jul 6 11:58:14 PDT 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, D. Joe Anderson wrote:

> Hmm.  Somewhere there I must have missed this golden age of a
> "formerly homogenous network".  I assume it happened somewhere along

Sorry, forgot the "global" qualifier.

> my transition from BITNET and Novell as an undergrad to Appletalk and
> lots of hairy RS-232 connections with a smatter of ethernet as a grad

You forgot ATM, Token Ring, and carrier pigeons.

> student, to the woeful balkanization we have today.  When, exactly,
> did it happen, and is there somewhere I can read about what I missed?

Try ARPANET and successor protocol suite. But you knew that already, and
just wanted to be cute.

> Homogeneity grows out of inhomogeneity by one of the components
> growing as the soon-to-be also-rans wither.  Homogeneity doesn't
> sound like the hallmark of a golden age.

What happens when you try to reinvent DNA? Everything breaks all over the
place.