[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Sat Jul 6 11:40:27 PDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 11:29:32AM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Commercial and political interests are already driving
> balcanization, threatening to fragment a formerly homogenous network into
> a mosaic of semiconnected compartments. Very like European nation-states
> of the recent past, jealously guarding their boundaries and ripping off
> every trader they could catch.

Hmm.  Somewhere there I must have missed this golden age of a
"formerly homogenous network".  I assume it happened somewhere along
my transition from BITNET and Novell as an undergrad to Appletalk and
lots of hairy RS-232 connections with a smatter of ethernet as a grad
student, to the woeful balkanization we have today.  When, exactly,
did it happen, and is there somewhere I can read about what I missed?

Homogeneity grows out of inhomogeneity by one of the components
growing as the soon-to-be also-rans wither.  Homogeneity doesn't
sound like the hallmark of a golden age.

Which brings to mind the fear-of-homogenization associated with the
commercial aspects of the September That Never Ended.

http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?TheSeptemberThatNeverEnded

I guess it depends on where you stand as to the state of the glass's
fullness.

--Joe