[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sat Jul 6 02:29:32 PDT 2002

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> The Internet, like any well-formed organism, needs its semipermeable

The Internet is not an organism. It is a manmade system mimicking a
totally connected graph. Because of design limitations (limited address
space) and idiotic policies and the dismal state of system security we've
got proliferation of subnetworks camouflaging as nodes. This sucks
extremely. Commercial and political interests are already driving
balcanization, threatening to fragment a formerly homogenous network into
a mosaic of semiconnected compartments. Very like European nation-states
of the recent past, jealously guarding their boundaries and ripping off
every trader they could catch.

Now we've also got zealots who're working as the fifth column, by either
denying things at transport protocol layer, or randomly breaking basic
services. As soon as above developments cumulate to make connectivity and
availability of services a flaky thing, people will simply stop using the
network.

> membranes, its structures to allow nutrients and deny noxious elements.
> There are better and worse ways to do this, but doing it of and by
> itself is a neutral (actually, I believe it's a Good Thing®).

I disagree vehemently.

> > There are efforts to put the queue at the sender end, and only transfer
> > when the message gets accepted.
>
> IM2000.  Of which DJB is a significant participant.

Well, I guess I should be now better running off, screaming in stark
terror.