[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Fri Jul 5 17:22:39 PDT 2002

Andrew writes:

> Secondly, why does free speech also demand anonymity?  If the right to free
> speech actually exists than knowing who it came from shouldn't matter.

It might be that free speech doesn't actually exist anywhere.  And
even in a place where the government won't punish you for speech,
other people will punish you.  Even protecting you effectively from
assassination, etc., might not be enough, because many of the ways to
punish you are legal.

Lots of important works were published anonymously, not always because
their authors would have been killed or imprisoned, but sometimes
because authors weren't prepared to bear other costs and risks of
famation*.  Those costs and risks are very real today, just as they've
always been.

* I made up the word "famation" as a joke -- it means revealing an
  anonymous person's identity.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk