[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 5 15:32:54 PDT 2002

on Fri, Jul 05, 2002, Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org) wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2002, Ron Guerin wrote:
>
> > I _do_ mind spam.  Very much.  Spammers should be lined up and shot
> > on the evening news for the children to see what happens to those
> > who send
>
> I agree. Suing them, fining them, locking them up, whatever it takes.

Incidentally, my own hypothesis, confirmed by a couple of articles
recently posted to Slashdot (the Spam Map, IIRC) suggests that there are
only a few tens of major spammers.  I'm inclined to think low tens.
With mid-sized shops, probably on the order of a few hundred.

With a community of this size, enforcement becomes a realistic option.

> I disagree. You're violating the basic assumption of the global network:
> that it is global. As soon as you start building walls and dig trenches,
> pull razorwire and lay mines the entire network and its users lose.

Bullshit.

The Internet, like any well-formed organism, needs its semipermeable
membranes, its structures to allow nutrients and deny noxious elements.
There are better and worse ways to do this, but doing it of and by
itself is a neutral (actually, I believe it's a Good Thing®).

> There are efforts to put the queue at the sender end, and only transfer
> when the message gets accepted.

IM2000.  Of which DJB is a significant participant.

Peace.

   The golden rule of technical design:  complexity is the enemy.