[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Fri Jul 5 11:57:47 PDT 2002

Ron Guerin said:

> Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I don't charge them by the bit for their mail.
> Yes, the total payments coming in covers the cost of operating the
> service, but no one's got metered mail.  I doubt your ISP charges you by
> the bit for your mail either.  If they do, you might consider finding a
> new ISP.

Actually, it's worse than that; my ISP charges me for a portion of the
costs of providing the service to everybody, and that includes the
costs they see from spam, even though I don't use their mailservers
for my inbound mail at all.

So I don't just pay for the spammers, I pay for the spammers clogging up
mail servers I don't even use.  And, of course, for the bandwidth they
use to send me spam via my own mail server.

--
Shawn McMahon                    |           Help spread accurate information
AIM: spmcmahonfedex, smcmahoneiv |  about Xenu and the Church of Scientology.