[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Ron Guerin ron@vnetworx.net
Fri Jul 5 11:49:30 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 14:42, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> Ron Guerin said:
> >
> > They don't directly pay for mail bandwidth.  It'll be a sad day if it
> > ever comes down to that.  Especially since they'd be mighty pissed off
>
> Oh, please.  There's no way anybody here is going to believe that if it
> cost you $100,000 * your number of users for mail bandwidth, you would
> charge them $50,000 apiece for their connections.  Unless you're in
> business to be a massive tax writeoff for somebody, they are paying for
> what it costs you to provide the service, plus profit, and if they
> weren't you'd be out of business.  You may not be putting a line item
> "email bandwidth" on the bill, but you're still charging them for every
> bit of it.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I don't charge them by the bit for their mail.
Yes, the total payments coming in covers the cost of operating the
service, but no one's got metered mail.  I doubt your ISP charges you by
the bit for your mail either.  If they do, you might consider finding a
new ISP.

Ron