[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Ron Guerin ron@vnetworx.net
Fri Jul 5 10:48:25 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 13:38, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 13:27, Ron Guerin wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 13:21, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> > > Now, if a certain company, individual or what-have-you wants to get off
> > > the list because they think that their spam don't stink, they are
> > > certainly welcome to plead the case, but the user who submitted and the
> > > user who used the filters are quite happy with the arrangement that the
> > > list now accurately reflects yet another spam relay.
> >
> > If you sign yourself up to a mailing list, you've given permission to
> > them to send you that spam.  Reporting them to SpamCop is wrong.  If you
> > don't like what you get from a mailing list, unsubscribe.
>
> That's your take, and that's fine.
>
> I might even agree with you on a personal level.
>
> I'm not sure that that's an ethical metric that I feel comfortable
> holding the net to. Reporting Spam is important, and I'd rather that I
> (as the maintainer of several lists myself) be inconvenienced rather
> than have the Spam go unreported. Remember that while I will have to
> clean up my relationship with SpamCop, the original source of that mail
> is ALSO being reported.

I can't imagine it being ethical to give someone permission to send me
mail and then report them to SpamCop when they send me mail, just
because I don't like what they send me.  As the saying goes, "Spam is
all about permission." and if I give my permission and then act as if I
didn't, then I'm a dishonest person at the least.

The reality is, when spam gets relayed through a legitimate mailing
list, either the list admin deals with it, or the users abandon the
list.  There's no reason for a SpamCop to ever be involved in this.

Unless I'm mistaken, that's also a violation of SpamCop's rules, and you
can be banned for that.

Ron